Now the students can apply for the fully-funded Gates Cambridge Scholarship 2022-2023 to grab a beautiful chance to study for free in the United Kingdom this year.
So do you want to study in the UK and at the most esteemed college, that too on a fully-funded scholarship? You’ve come to the right place for its information. The Gates Cambridge Scholarships were founded in the 2000s using a $210 million contribution from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to assist exceptional grad students enrolling at the University of Cambridge. Of only 0.3 percent of candidates getting the honor, the prize is among the most challenging and renowned throughout the globe. Scholarships are granted to distinguished candidates from out of the UK who intend to advance a full-time postgraduate degree at the University of Cambridge in any discipline.
The fields of study that come under this Gates Cambridge scholarship are:
- A year’s postgraduate program in whichever discipline is being provided by the college.
However, the following are the programs that do not come under the Gates Cambridge Scholarship:
- Undergraduate Programs
- Medicine Programs
- Part-time Programs
Coverage of Gates Cambridge Scholarship and Benefits
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship supports the entire expense of attending the Cambridge University. Additionally, it offers discretionary funds for the attending candidates.
- Fully paid tuition fees
- A Maintenance Stipend
- The first and last traveling costs, into and from the UK, are paid for. The ticket will be of economy class.
- Arriving visa expenses are covered.
- Immigration Health Surcharge expenses are paid for.
Dependent upon the category of candidate, the Cambridge University’s Composition Fee may differ. This being the reason, the candidate is mandated to thoroughly go through the prospectus of Graduate Studies. In the case that there is a candidate from the European Union, who has won the scholarship through governmental bodies, the candidate will have to take it. In this scenario, the Gate Trust cannot pay the candidate’s fee as it is covered by their home country’s government.
Upon a discretionary basis, the Fund accepts requests for various kinds of supplementary financial support:
- Academic Growth Costs: Expenses such as attending conferences, workshops, or extra courses come under this section. The minimum coverage starts from £500 to £1200. This coverage could vary as per the duration of the candidate’s course.
- Family Stipend: Excluding partners, costs for children are covered up to £10,120 for one child and up to £14,440 for two (or more) children.
- Fieldwork: As a component of a Ph.D., the candidate might request to continue receiving the maintenance stipend when doing fieldwork. The scholarship, however, will not provide for other expenses related to fieldwork as those costs must be fulfilled by the tuition fee.
- Maternity/Paternity Funds: If the candidate needs it, they might seek to take a break from their academics for up to six months while still receiving the monthly stipend
- Hardship Funds: These are expenses that will be covered in the event of unexpected challenges.
What is Not Included in the Coverage?
The Scholarship covers the majority of expenses, however, it will not support bench fees, laboratory material, or other curriculum materials. The Foundation anticipates that the academic department at Cambridge will finance the expenditures of these basic programs.
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Application Eligibility Criteria
Annually, the Gates Cambridge Scholarship awards 80 full-fee grants to top performers living abroad in the United Kingdom who aspire to explore an entire graduate degree at the University of Cambridge in a discipline of their choice.
The following account for the qualifying criteria:
- Exceptional intellectual capacity
- The grounds for choosing a program
- A desire to make a difference in the world
- What it takes to be a leader
The Gates Cambridge Scholarships is open to candidates representing any part of the world other than the UK. Students have to send applications to the University of Cambridge to undertake one of the below full-time residential degrees:
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- Master of Science (MSc), Master of Letters (MLitt), Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
- Alternate 12-month postgraduate course (e.g. LLM, MRes, MASt)
Candidates register to a program, university, and department all at the same time, and the Gates Cambridge Scholarship is contingent on complete admission throughout all.
Process of Application for Gates Cambridge Scholarship:
Assuming the candidate reading this qualifies for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, they could begin the registration procedure right away. The application timeframe is between September and January. The deadline may vary based on the program the applicant is undertaking. The applying procedure is easy and takes place entirely online. Candidates can access this prestigious award by following the steps outlined below:
- The candidate will begin by going to the portal of Graduate Applicant Portal. This can be utilized for many programs and is available on the original website of the Cambridge University.
- The second step is to follow the instruction given on the portal and fill up the application form as per requirement.
- As that is done, the third step is to upload mandated attachments and documentation.
- Click the submit button after proofreading your application.
List of Required Documents for Gates Scholarship Application:
The required documents for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship application procedure are as follows:
- A written statement of purpose ranging from 500 to 3000 characters is mandated. This statement will comprise the answer to why you are applying and how you are eligible for this renowned scholarship. The written statement allows for the candidate to be set apart from other applicants.
- Candidates applying for Ph.D. are required to upload a Proposal of Research. This is an essential supporting attachment for when you are submitting the application for the scholarship. This is only obligated towards students applying for a doctoral. A study plan is required by Master’s degree applicants.
- The candidate must provide a reference(s) regarding their suitability for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship. These recommendations must come through licensed specialists in any locality. The majority of the candidates choose to provide recommendations from their educational background’s institutional instructors. Another area the candidate can reference is from their workplace. Recommendations can be taken from prior companies or possibly some authorized senior employees from their business.