Fully funded Global Korea Undergraduate Scholarships (GKS-U) 2022-2023 sponsored by the Korean Government and the Korean ministry of education have been opened for online applications. The application form for Undergrad GKS Scholarships can be filled online prior to the deadline.
These Global Korean scholarships are given at undergraduate and master’s levels to foster healthy relationships between Korea and the rest of the world. These are also aimed to bring international talent inside the borders of the Republic of Korea.
More About Global Korean (GKS-U) Scholarships:
The scholarship is given to bachelor’s, master’s, and Ph.D. level students who want to study in the Republic of Korea. The number of awards at the undergraduate level is 220, whereas, 1080 students will get the scholarship at the graduate level. The scholarship recipients will have to attend a year-long Korean language course in one of the designated universities. Students who are exempted from this requirement are the ones who have achieved a score of more than 5 in their TOPIK exam. Students from all over the world are welcome to apply.
GKS Undergraduate Scholarships Coverage Plan:
This is a fairly generous GKS-U scholarship that covers almost every educational and personal expense of its recipients. The benefits of this scholarship are:
- Reimbursement of airfare at its actual cost.
- A settlement allowance amounting to 200,000 KRW.
- Living allowance up to 1,000,000 KRW.
- Medical insurance of 20,000 KRW a month.
- Tuition coverage in full (up to 5,000,000 a semester).
- Coverage for taking up language courses of up to 800,000 KRW per three months.
- Research grant of up to 240,000 KRW a semester (given for the semesters in which the research is being undertaken, if it is indeed a research-oriented program)
- Coverage for printing thesis of up to 800,000 KRW (one time).
- Completion grant of 100,000 KRW (one-time).
In addition to that, another award is also given to those students who are proficient in the Korean Language. The worth of this award is 100,000 KRW.
Global Korean Scholarships (GKS-U) Eligibility Criteria:
In order to be eligible to apply for the scholarship:
- Applicants and both of their parents must be citizens of a country other than Korea.
- Applicants should be mentally and physically fit enough to survive in a foreign country for a long period of time.
- Undergraduate students must be under 25 years of age while graduate students must be under 40 years of age.
- Applicants must be able to finish their last degree/diploma course before arriving in Korea, i.e. they should have a master’s/bachelor’s degree (for graduate students) or a high school diploma at the time of their arrival in Korea.
- They should also have a CGPA or percentage result of 80% or above in their last degree/diploma programs.
- Applicants must not be in possession of the Global Korea Scholarship in the past.
The process to apply to the Global Korea Scholarships (GKS):
- Students can apply for the Global Korea Scholarships (GKS) via the Korean Embassy located in their home country.
- Applicants will submit their application and all the required documents to the Korean Embassy.
- The Korean Embassy will then shortlist potential candidates and nominate them for this award.
- The scholarship committee will choose the successful candidates by analyzing their documents and profile and will notify the respective embassies of the final results.
- Applicants can apply directly to Korean universities as well if they do not want to take up the embassy track. This way they will have to apply for the Korean scholarships via the university/colleges of their choice.
Documents for Global Korea Scholarships (GKS):
If you have made your mind to apply for the Korean Scholarships such as KGSP Scholarship, GKS Scholarship, or UST Scholarship; all you need to do in the first step is to prepare the mandatory documents for Korean Scholarship Application Submission as listed following:
- Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) form
- Personal Statement
- Research Proposal
- Study Plan
- Letter of Recommendation (2)
- Medical test Results
- Korean Citizenship Refutation proof (for previous Korean Citizens)
- TOPIK scores (not mandatory)
- English Language Proficiency scores (not mandatory)
- Letter of Motivation
- Applicant’s ID card or passport copy
- Applicant’s parents’ ID card or passport copy
- CV for Scholarships
- Copy of all the previous degrees and/or high school diploma
- Transcripts of all the previous degrees and/or high school diploma
Deadline of the GKS Scholarship:
Global Korea Undergrad Scholarships (GKS) 2022 were opened for application on March 18th, 2021. There is no defined date on which the applications will not be accepted. Students who are applying through the embassy track will have to contact their respective embassies to be sure of the deadline. Students choosing the university track will have to abide by the deadlines set by the universities.
Students applying via the embassy track have to submit three more copies of their documents while the students applying via the universities have to submit only one copy of their documents.
The letters of recommendation should be written by two different referees. Documents submitted to GKS will not be returned to the applicants. The GKS Scholarships application form is to be filled in either English or the Korean language.