Fully funded Japanese MEXT Scholarships 2022 are open for online applications for the students interested to pursue their higher education in Japan. One of the leading scholarship platforms has opened up its registration for students all over the world. Through the Japanese Government Scholarship Program, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology awards scholarships to foreign students who intend to pursue graduate courses at Japanese universities as Research Students as either regular or non-regular students.
The MEXT Scholarship submission season is usually released in April. However, owing to the pandemic, the entry notification has been postponed this year. Nevertheless, the MEXT Scholarship 2022 has just been announced in the majority of countries. This program does not require learning Japanese or the IELTS/TOEFL.
Areas of Study under MEXT Japan
There are courses in everything from social sciences to engineering, medicine, and arts and humanities. The Japanese Embassy or Consulate in the candidate’s country might limit the subject areas to specific disciplines. Candidates must register for a position in the area of study in which they specialized at college or a similar field. Furthermore, the disciplines of study should be areas that candidates can pursue and research in graduate programmes at Japanese universities.
Eligibility Criteria for MEXT
MEXT welcomes submissions from foreign students who meet certain requirements to enroll in Japan. The goal is to create personnel who, via studying in Japan, will constitute gateways of friendship between the candidate’s nation and Japan.
- Language: English is the required language for the program.
- Nationality: Candidates should be citizens of a country with which Japan has diplomatic ties. Candidates who are Japanese citizens at the stage of registration are ineligible. Individuals with double citizenship who have Japanese nationality and live elsewhere at the time of entry are qualified to register if they select the citizenship of the other country and resign their Japanese nationality by the date of their landing in Japan.
- Age: A candidate for a Masters’s or Ph.D. has to be under 35 years old and a college graduate (includes prospective graduates). Alternatively, candidates should have accomplished 16-18 years of school. A candidate for teacher training should be under the age of 35 and a graduate of a university or teacher training college. They must have at minimum 5 years of continuous teaching experience in an elementary, intermediate, or teacher education college in their home country. Candidates for Japanese studies should be between the ages of 18 and 30.
- Health: Candidates need to provide a medical certificate issued by a professional attesting that they do not have any physical or mental disorders that would prevent them from studying in Japan.
- Visa Requirement: A candidate must get a fresh “Student” visa from the Japanese diplomatic office in the candidate’s place of citizenship and travel to Japan with the position of “Student.”
Benefits and Coverage of MEXT Research Scholarships
- Education fees
- Traveling expenses
- Transportation to Japan
- Transportation from Japan
- Living accommodations
The process of application for MEXT Scholarships
Below is an overview of the application guidelines to apply for the MEXT Scholarship:
- This link will lead you to the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your region.
- The MEXT scholarship can be found underneath the Education/Scholarship category.
- Complete the MEXT scholarship application form after downloading it.
- Submit the relevant documentation to the Japanese Embassy in your country.
- The Japanese Embassy will administer a written exam.
- Following that, the applicants will be interviewed.
- Qualified applicants will be notified via email or via the embassy’s website.
Required Documents for MEXT Scholarship
Following is the list of documents that must be submitted to the Japanese embassy before the deadline. The provided order should be followed:
- Mark Sheet Form
- Statement of purpose
- Application Form (1 original, 1 copy)
- Research Plan (1 original, 1 copy)
- Attested copies of transcripts for all colleges attended. (1 copy with original attestation, 1 copy)
- Attested copy of the certification of graduation or degree certificate of university attended. (1 copy with original attestation, 1 copy)
- Letter of Recommendation from the president/dean or the academic advisor from your present or previous college attended. (1 original, 1 copy)
- Letter of Motivation
- Health Certificate (1 original, 1 copy)
- Abstract of theses (if applicable) (1 original, 1 copy)
- Study plan essay
- Recommendation letter from the present employer (if applicable) (1 original, 1 copy)
- The application should not be stapled. It must be printed on A4 size paper.
- Certificates & documents, other than those mentioned above, will not be considered.
- The embassy will only contact the shortlisted applicants by July 2022.
The above list is not exhaustive. It is important that you thoroughly go through the list of required documents as they can be subject to change. The checklist is available on the official website of the MEXT scholarships 2022. More so, the submitted documentation will not be returned.
Deadline for MEXT Research Scholarships:
Every Japanese embassy has its own date for submitting application paperwork. It is vital to ensure and double-check the deadlines on the webpage of the Japanese diplomatic mission in your country.